Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sunday's Writing Tips

  




   I have decided to dedicate some posts to helping other people learn the craft of writing.  I write fiction, medieval fantasy, to be specific, but most of what I have to say will apply to non-fiction writers as well.  Being a writer of fantasy fiction, I spend a lot of time in my head, daydreaming.  This can also be considered procrastination, and that is what I'm going to talk about today.

    Writers in general do a lot of thinking, and this is a good thing.  To be a successful writers though, whether fantasy, thriller, or non-fiction, we have to write.  Not only do we have to write, but other people outside our circle of friends and family have to read our work.  So, the number one rule of being a successful writer is to write.  Write every day possible and do it until your story is complete.  Writing, like any other action, improves with practice.  To be a good writer, you must write a lot, and to be a successful writer, you must be good.

    We all have our reasons not to write.  You aren't alone in this.  These reasons are justifications for our fear of failure, our self doubt, our lack of motivation, and our low self esteem.  None of these reasons are good enough to keep you from writing your bestseller.  You need to write, even if you think it will be bad.  The thing is, bad writing can be made good through editing.  If you don't write at all, there is nothing to improve upon.  Nothing can't get better, because it isn't there, it doesn't exist.  I understand how hard it is to break down the mental barriers that we build up.  I understand, but I know that only you can break them, and that is exactly what you have to do.  The good news is that you can.  It's a very difficult thing to do, but it's also the easiest thing in the world.  

    The writing classes, the fantasy story-crafting groups, and the creative writing lessons aren't going to help you.  Writing will help you, and that is the only thing that will.  In my opinion, all of these classes and courses, and I have taken my share, are just another form of procrastination.  We are writers and we need to write.  

    So, today, I want you to take an hour and write.  Write anything.  Write your fantasy.  Write the prologue to the fiction novel that has been growing mold in your brain for the last 10 years.  You can do it, and once you do, the door will be thrown wide open.  Your life will change.  Start writing, and don't ever stop.  There are lots of friendly people on Twitter and Facebook who are writers.  Come join our community and share your story with the world.  

    My Twitter handle is @murickansaga, and if you write your first words after reading this, please find me and tell me about it.  I would love to read it and give you some critique.  Have a wonderful day, and WRITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Criticism

      Today's writing tip is based on accepting criticism, or more accurately, determining whether the criticism is worth accepting.  Ev...